Head of the Centre: dr hab. Ewa Gruszczyńska
The Centre Team:
- Dr hab. Hieronim Chojnacki, Professor at the Department of Scandinavian Studies, the University of Gdańsk
- Dr hab. Piotr Twardzisz, the Institute of Applied Linguistics, the University of Warsaw
- Dr hab. Elżbieta Gajek, the Institute of Applied Linguistics, the University of Warsaw
- Lennart Ilke, Translator of Polish literature into Swedish
- Lennart Larsson FD, the Department of Scandinavian Languages, Uppsala University
- Dr Agnieszka Leńko-Szymańska, the Institute of Applied Linguistics, the University of Warsaw
- Dr hab. Witold Maciejewski, Professor at the Department of Scandinavian Studies, the University of Social Sciences and Humanities (SWPS)
- Dr Robert Parowenko, Teacher at the Centre for Foreign Language Teaching, the University of Warsaw
- Mgr Marta Skorek, PhD candidate at the Institute of Applied Linguistics, the University of Warsaw
- Dr Elżbieta Strzelecka (FD), Mid Sweden University, Härnösand
- Mgr Anna Sworowska, Teacher at the Centre for Foreign Language Teaching, the University of Warsaw; PhD candidate at the Institute of Applied Linguistics, the University of Warsaw
- Beata Walczak-Larsson, Translator of Swedish literature into Polish
About the Centre:
The Scandinavian Research Centre was established by the Council of the Faculty of Applied Linguistics on February 18, 2014 as part of the Institute of Applied Linguistics. As a scientific research unit, the Centre mainly pursues research projects dedicated to Polish-Scandinavian areas of interest. The project participants include members of the staff and PhD candidates at the Faculty of Applied Linguistics (its institutes and departments) and other units of the University of Warsaw as well as at other research units operating both in Poland and abroad.
The Scandinavian Research Centre:
- is the first scientific research unit established at the University of Warsaw to pursue Scandinavian projects;
- facilitates the development of cooperation in the area of Scandinavian studies between Polish universities and faculties as well as between the University of Warsaw and Scandinavian universities;
- brings together researchers interested in Polish-Scandinavian scientific research cooperation at the University of Warsaw.
- Polish-Swedish and Swedish-Polish translation;
- translation and perception of Icelandic literature in Poland and of Polish literature in Iceland;
- translation and perception of Norwegian literature in Poland and of Polish literature in Norway.
- research in Polish-Swedish and Swedish-Polish lexicography;
- Polish-Swedish and Swedish-Polish corpus research projects carried out in cooperation between the Centre for Corpus Linguistics established at the Institute of Applied Linguistics and research units based at other Polish and Swedish universities.
We are currently working on a research project dedicated to contemporary Polish-Swedish language contacts through translation. The research work is based on the use of a specially designed parallel corpus of translated texts. The aim of the project is to demonstrate Polish-Swedish and Swedish-Polish linguistic relations in translation as well as the impact of the translated texts on the mutual perception of our respective languages and cultures.
Conferences and seminars
- December 9, 2014: “Exploring Danish happiness” A conference hosted by the Embassy of the Kingdom of Denmark, the Scandinavian Studies Student Research Group of the University of Warsaw, and the Scientific Foundation Norden Centrum
- March 30, 2015: “Polish-language parallel corpora” A seminar on Polish-language parallel corpora, including a Swedish-Polish parallel corpus being designed by the Centre