MA Study Programme: Applied Linguistics
Study programme: Applied Linguistcics
Major: teaching and translation
MA programme lasts 4 semesters. Graduates of the MA programme are awarded the Master of Arts degree in the field of applied linguistics.
All MA students in the Institute of Applied Linguistics study two out of five foreign language offered. Our offer includes the following languages: English, French, German, Russian and Spanish.
The MA study programme includes two majors: interpreting and translation.
Graduates of the MA programme possess the following skills and competences:
- All graduates have achieved fluency, approximate to their fluency in the mother tongue, in two foreign languages, in speech and writing (communicative competence on the C2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- All graduates possess translation and interpreting skills between three languages, i.e. language A (Polish), language B (first foreign language), and language C (second foreign language).
- All graduates are qualified to teach foreign languages B and C in all types of educational units (in accordance with the Regulation of the Minister of Science and Higher Education, as of 17th January 2012).
- All graduates possess skills and competences allowing them to work in all kinds of positions and professions requiring fluency in foreign languages, such as a translator, teacher, consultant, editor, intercultural communication specialist, and also in any similar positions, requiring knowledge concerning communication and fluency in foreign languages.
- Graduates of MA studies at the Institute of Applied Linguistics pursue careers in international organizations, business, advertising, the media as well as in various types of schools, editing boards, publishing houses, translation agencies, institutions maintaining international contacts, foreign companies or Polish companies cooperating with foreign partners, etc. Many our graduates are employed in the most important EU institutions.
The Institute of Applied Linguistics educates first-class specialists in the field of translation and interpreting, linguistics, foreign language teaching and intercultural mediation. Apart from the fluency in two foreign languages, the students acquire knowledge in the areas of general linguistics and the theory of communication, as well as the knowledge of the structure and culture of the Polish language and of the studied foreign languages. The theoretical courses taught in the Institute include, among others, teaching methodology, translation studies, linguistics and verbal communication. The study programme comprises also the courses concerning sociolinguistics, the language of the media, or the pragmatics of intercultural communication.