- Position: Assistant Professor
- Department: Discourse Studies
- Room: 1.047
- Telephone: +48 22 55 26069
- E-mail: jmolczanow(at)uw.edu.pl
- Duty hours: Monday 10:30-11:15 (by appointment), Tuesday 13.00-14.00
(except weeks with Institute Council or Faculty Council meetings)
- M.A. in English Philology, Catholic University of Lublin, 2001
- Ph.D. in General Linguistics, University of Warsaw, 2005
- Postdoctoral degree in Linguistics, University of Warsaw, 2018
- Discourse analysis
- Historical linguistics
- Comparative linguistics
- Forensic linguistics
- Foreign language teaching
Grants and fellowships
- National Science Centre grant nr. 2017/27/B/HS2/00780, project Perceptual and acoustic correlates of rhythmic stress, 09.2018 -08.2021 (principle investigator)
- Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers, February 2011- November 2012, project Vowel Reduction in Germanic and Slavic. Philipps-Universität Marburg (Germany).
- Grant from the Humboldt Foundation (Germany), March 2013- February 2014, project Lexical stress in Russian stem classes: evidence from acquired surface dyslexia.
- Humboldt Research Fellowship (Renewed research stay), 1.10.2016-31.12.2016, project Prosodic processing in aphasic speakers. Philipps-Universität Marburg (Germany).
- National Science Centre grant (Poland) nr. 2015/17/B/HS2/01455, project Iterative and Bidirectional Stress Systems: Polish and Ukrainian, 19.02.2016– 18.02.2018 (co-investigator).
- National Science Centre grant (Poland) nr. 2015/18/E/HS2/00066, project The role of phonological features in phonotactics: A study in structure and learnability of consonant clusters in Slavic and Germanic languages, 05.2016-04.2019 (co-investigator).
- (2019) (with Beata Łukaszewicz, Anna Łukaszewicz) The 20th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association INTERSPEECH 2019, Graz, Austria, ‘An acoustic study of vowel undershoot in a system with several degrees of prominence’.
- (2019) (with Beata Łukaszewicz) International Symposium on Monolingual and Bilingual Speech, Chania, Greece, ‘Bidirectional grammatical stress in a free lexical stress system’.
- (2019) (with Beata Łukaszewicz, Anna Łukaszewicz) Phonetics and Phonology in Europe, Lecce, Italy, ‘Disentangling metrical prominence from segmental and word-boundary effects’.
- (2018) (with Beata Łukaszewicz) The 16th Conference on Laboratory Phonology, Lisboa, ‘Secondary stress iteration in Ukrainian: an argument for the metrical grid’.
- (2018) (with Beata Łukaszewicz, Anna Łukaszewicz) Speech Prosody 9, Poznań, ‘Rhythmic stress or word-boundary effects? Comparison of primary and secondary stress correlates in segmentally identical word pairs’.
- (2017) (with Paula Orzechowska, Michał Jankowski) 47th Poznań Linguistic Meeting, Poznań, Poland, talk ‘Prosodically-conditioned syllable structure’.
- (2017) (with Gea de Jong-Lendle, Roland Kehrein, Frederike Urke, Anna Lena Georg, Belinda Fingerling, Sarah Franchini, Olaf Köster, Christiane Ulbrich) 26th annual conference of the International Association for Forensic Phonetics and Acoustics, Split, Croatia, poster ‘Language identification from a foreign accent in German’.
- (2017) (with Beata Łukaszewicz) Approaches to Phonology and Phonetics, Lublin, Poland, talk ‘Leftward and rightward stress iteration in Ukrainian: acoustic evidence and theoretical implications’
- (2017) (with Beata Łukaszewicz, Ewa Zajbt. Urszula Krawczyk) Phonetics and Phonology in Europe, Cologne, Germany, poster ‘Lombard effect-related acoustic changes in the production of subsidiary stress’.
- (2016) (with Beata Łukaszewicz) Aix Summer School on Prosody Methods in Prosody and Intonation Research: Data, Theories, Transcription, Aix en Provence, France, poster ‘Is Ukrainian a bidirectional stress system?’
- (2016) (with Beata Łukaszewicz) 24th Manchester Phonology Meeting, Manchester, Great Britain, poster ‘Is Ukrainian a bidirectional stress system?’
- (2015) (with Ulrike Domahs, Richard Wiese, Ekaterina Iskra) Approaches to Phonology and Phonetics, Lublin, Poland, talk ‘Lexical stress in Russian stem classes: evidence from acquired surface dyslexia’.
- (2012) (with Johannes Knaus, Ulrike Domahs, Richard Wiese) 8th International Conference on the Mental Lexicon, Montreal, Canada, talk ‘Russian word stress is lexical: evidence from event-related potentials’.
- (2012) Workshop ‘Tone: Theory and Practice’, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany, poster ‘Tone and Vowel Reduction in East Slavic’.
- (2012) (with Johannes Knaus, Ulrike Domahs, Richard Wiese) Satellite workshop to LabPhon 13, The 13th Conference on Laboratory Phonology. Stuttgart, Germany, poster ‘Lexical word stress in Russian – evidence from event-related potentials’.
- (2012) Linguistic colloquium Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany, talk ‘Vowel Reduction in Slavic and Germanic’.
- (2008) 39th Poznań Linguistic Meeting, Gniezno, Poland, talk ‘Intervocalic Deletion and Positional Faithfulness in Russian’.
- (2008) Generative Linguistics in Poland 6, Warsaw, Poland, talk ‘An OT analysis of the Russian imperative’.
- (2007) 38th Poznań Linguistic Meeting, Gniezno, Poland, talk ‘The problem of Russian v’.
- (2005) 13th Manchester Phonology Meeting, Manchester, UK, poster ‘Russian Vowel Reduction and Phonological Opacity’.
- (2004) 35th Poznań Linguistic Meeting, Poznań, Poland, talk ‘Gliding in Russian’.