- Position: Assistant Professor
- Department: Discourse Studies
- Room: 1.046
- E-mail: k.bros(at)uw.edu.pl
- Duty hours: Tuesday 13.00-14.00, Friday 10.30-11.30
- PhD in linguistics, English Institute, University of Warsaw, 2012 (dissertation entitled: “ Survival of the Fittest: Fricative Lenition in English and Spanish from the Perspective of Optimality Theory”)
- European Masters in Conference Interpreting Certificate (post-graduate degree), University of Warsaw, 2009, specialisation: English and Spanish
- A. Degree in Cultural and Linguistic Studies of Western Europe, University of Warsaw, 2007, specialisation: English, Spanish and French linguistics
- theoretical and experimental linguistics
- generative phonology, laboratory phonology and sociophonetics
- psycholinguistics and neurolinguistics
- historical phonology, sound change, language change
- language evolution, language acquisition and bilingualism
- Spanish linguistics and dialectology
- Sonata grant awarded by the Polish Science Centre for the project “Acoustic, perceptual and gestural correlates of (sub)phonemic distinctions: aperture in obstruents” to be implemented at the University of Warsaw and in ZAS Berlin in cooperation with Marzena Zygis. Funding period: 2018-2020.
- University of Warsaw Foundation, grant no. 6, 2016 — fieldwork in Gran Canaria (February 2017)
Scholarships and research stays:
- 2017-08.2018: Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship, Zurich. Project entitled “Perception of Stress Shift by Speakers of Spanish – an ERP Study” to be implemented at the Zurich University, in cooperation with Dr Volker Dellwo (Phonetics Laboratory) and Prof. Martin Meyer from the Department of Psychology, Neuroplasticity and Learning in the Normal Aging Brain.
- 07-20.08.16: Perception/production study conducted on Gran Canaria, project: Language change in Gran Canarian Spanish – a phonetic and sociolinguistic study.
- 1-14.02.16: Fieldwork conducted on Gran Canaria,co-financed by the University of Warsaw Foundation, project: Language change in Gran Canarian Spanish – a phonetic and sociolinguistic study.
- Volker Dellwo, Phonetics Lab, University of Zurich
- Martin Meyer, Psychology Department, University of Zurich
- Marzena Zygis, ZAS Berlin and Humboldt University
- Francesc Torres-Tamarit, CNRS Paris
- Clàudia Pons Moll, Universitat de Barcelona
- Joanna Zaleska, Universität Leipzig
- Katarzyna Lipowska, Psychology Department, University of Warsaw
- Vasiliki Tsouni, Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf
- phonetics and phonology (Spanish, English, Polish)
- selected issues in theoretical linguistics
- experimental linguistics
- A. seminar (linguistics and translation)
- British pronunciation
- consecutive and simultaneous interpreting
- translation workshops
- Spanish language (intensive university course)
- English language (grammar, speaking and writing)
- professional English and Spanish translator and interpreter since 2004 (specialising in tender documentation, legal texts, contracts, financial statements, transport, tourism and the EU)
- Interpreting and conference services coordinator during the Polish Presidency in the EU Council, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2011)
- English language teacher (2002-2004)
Papers presented at international conferences:
- MAPS Groningen, “Stress perception in Spanish – an ERP study” (9-13 July 2018)
- RFP (16èmes Rencontres du Réseau Français de Phonologie), Paris, “Modelling variation in sound change: social setting as a determinant of process application” (27-29 June 2018)
- 26th Manchester Phonology Meeting, “Sound change as a function of experimental setting: methodological and theoretical issues” (24-26 May 2018)
- V Foro de Lingüística Hispánica, Lublin, “Un leye y leye por favor: el curioso caso de la <ch> canaria” (11-13 May 2017)
- 14thOld World Conference in Phonology (OCP14), Dusseldorf – “Spanish non-continuants at the prosody-phonetics interface” (19-21 February, 2017)
- 24thManchester Phonology Meeting, Manchester – “Opaque Domain Modelling in OT: Against Stepwise Prosodic Parsing in Harmonic Serialism” (29-31 May, 2016)
- 46th annual meeting of the North East Linguistics Society (NELS), Montréal – “Stratum junctures and counterfeeding – against the current formulation of cyclicity in Stratal OT” (16-18 October, 2015)
- Phonetics and Phonology in Europe 2015, Cambridge – “Perception of stress and vowel reduction in Spanish: word identification, native speaker bias and the default vowel” (28 June – 1 July, 2015)
- Approaches to Phonology and Phonetics (APAP), Lublin – “Further sound change in Spanish – postvocalic voicing in Gran Canaria” (19-21 June, 2015)
- 23rd Manchester Phonology Meeting, Manchester – “Phonemic overlap in Canarian Spanish – the case of postvocalic voicing” (28-30 May, 2015)
- IV Foro de Linguística Hispánica: panorama de temas y métodos de investigación, Warsaw – “Percepción de acento y acortamiento vocálico en español” (7-9 May, 2015)
- Jahrestagung der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Sprachwissenschaft (DgfS) Conference, Leipzig – Workshop: Strong versus weak prosodic positions, “The prosodic word – weak or strong? Evidence from Spanish” (4-6 March, 2015)
- 12th Old World Conference in Phonology, Barcelona – “The prosodic word – weak or strong? Evidence from Spanish” (27-30 January, 2015)
- SLE2014 organised by Societas Linguistica Europea in Poznań, Poland – “Stress pattern and reduction correlations in Spanish” (11-14 September, 2014)
- didTRAD PACTE 2014, Second International Conference on Research into the Didactics of Translation, Barcelona – “Students on the computer-based translation market: how to reshape translation studies” (7-9 July, 2014)
- Olomouc Linguistics Colloquium (Olinco 2014), Olomouc (Czech Republic) – “Polish voicing assimilation at the phonetics-phonology interface” (5-7 June, 2014)
- 22nd Manchester Phonology Meeting – “Laryngeal conspiracies and the life cycle of phonological processes” (29-31 May, 2014)
- Lingwistyka stosowana – teoria i praktyka dydaktyki, conference organised by the Polish Applied Linguistics Association, Wrocław – “Studenci w dobie Internetu i skomputeryzowanego rynku pracy: jak dostosować studia translatorskie do zmieniających się realiów” (11-12 April, 2014)
- Foro de Lingüística Hispánica UAM 2013, Poznań – “Debilitamiento de la s en Chile e implicaciones históricas” (9-11 May, 2013)
- 20thManchester Phonology Meeting 23-26 May, 2012, oral presentation: “Derivationalism in OT – Boon or Bane”
- Second Workshop on Sound Change in Bavaria (2-4 May, 2012), poster presentation on Spanish lenition as phonemic shift
- GLiP 7 (2-4 December, 2011), presentation on Chilean s-weakening as an example of phonological opacity, published in the second volume of “Generative Linguistics in Wrocław”
Seminars and internships:
- 17-20 July 2018: Birmingham ERP Boot Campwith Steve Luck and Emily Kappenman. There I perfected my knowledge concerning EEG data collection, preprocessing and analysis, which helped me work on my Zurich database.
- July 2018: summer school onMultiple approaches to the perception of speech (MAPS) in Groningen. We talked about speech perception and audiological pathologies, looking at EEG, fMRI, TMS, fNIRs, eye-tracking and pupillometry.
- May 2018: statistical workshop on GAMMs and functional analysis (Analysing Curves, Manchester, 29-13 May 2018).
- May 2018: Python programming class (basics, Thayabaran Kathiresan, Zurich).
- December 2017: mixed models in R course provided by Sandra Schwab (Zurich University).
- November 2017: workshop on Speaker Individuality in Voice: Human and Machine Processing(Zurich, 3 November 2017).
- October 2017: statistics workshop entitled Statistical standards for scientific discovery in linguistics: a practical introduction(Zurich, 4-6 October 2017).
- Aix Summer School on Prosody– Methods in Prosody and Intonation Research: Data, Theories, Transcription, Aix-en-Provence (Aix-Marseille University), France. http://aixprosody2016.weebly.com (6-9 September 2016)
- Stem II Summer Training in Experimental Methods, Lisbon (Lisbon University). Praat and Advanced Praat (scripting) workshops. http://labfon.letras.ulisboa.pt/summerschool/en(4-5 September 2016)
- LateX Workshop (writing research papers, conference presentations and posters), Leipzig, Germany (3-5 March, 2015)
- Training for Trainers(Brussels), seminar organised by the European Commission for conference interpreting trainers (14-18 September, 2015)
- II Specialist Seminar on the Didactics of Translationorganised by the PACTE Group, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona (7 July, 2014). Modules:
- Pedagogical bases in translator training (A. Hurtado Albir)
- ICTs applied to translator training (P. Rodríguez-Inés)
- Assessment in translator training (A. Hurtado Albir & A. Galán-Mañas)
- Use of corpora in translator training (P. Rodríguez-Inés)
- Professional training programme for teaching staffof the University of Warsaw organised as a part of Modern University project (September 2013)
- field research for the purposes of the PhD: a 6-week stay in Argentina and Chile (summer 2010)
- 1-year scholarship, Madrid, Universidad Complutense, Facultad de Filología (September 2006 – June 2007)