- Position: Assistant
- Department: Interpreting Studies and Audiovisual Translation
- Room: 2.026
- E-mail: agata.balinska(at)uw.edu.pl
- Duty hours: Tuesday 13:15–14:00 (online, by appointment), Friday: 12:30–13:15 (by appointment).
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-1810-8832
- MA in the field of Applied Linguistics, major in Foreign Language teaching and Translation/Interpretation (English and Russian), Faculty of Applied Linguistics, the University of Warsaw, 2015, (MA thesis The intralingual translation or rewording of British and American children’s literature on the basis of the British and American versions of the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling supervised by prof. UW dr hab. Krzysztof Hejwowski).
- BA in the field of Oriental Studies, major in Japanese Studies, Faculty of Oriental Studies, the University of Warsaw, 2015 (BA thesis The role of women of the way of tea in Japan throughout the ages supervised by prof. dr hab. Ewa Pałasz-Rutkowska).
- Doctoral Studies at the Faculty of Applied Linguistics (UW) – supervisor prof. dr hab. Małgorzata Tryuk, title of the dissertation: Japanese translation pedagogy: current state, needs and the future (Dydaktyka przekładu z języka japońskiego i na język japoński: stan obecny, potrzeby, przyszłość), Field of specialization: language teaching, translation and interpretation (English and Russian),
- MA Studies – five-year program, full time studies at the Institute of Applied Linguistics (UW),
- BA Studies – three-year program, full time studies at the Chair of Japanese Studies (UW), Field of specialization: Japanese Studies .
- teaching translation,
- translation studies,
- intralingual translation,
- interpreting and audiovisual translation,
- corpus linguistics,
- history of translation,
- oriental studies,
- Conference organization: Imago Mundi at Institute of Applied Linguistics 2018,
- Conference organization: student and PhD candidate conference during the Days of Japan 2012.
Teaching experience at the Institute of Applied Linguistics:
- 2021–now: Localization– 2nd year BA studies (in cooperation with mgr Mikołaj Szwed, MA),
- 2020–now: Communicative Competence Development of LanguageB – English writing workshop 2nd year BA studies,
- 2019–now: Essentials of translation (written intercultural mediation) – language C and B –English translation workshop, 1st and 2nd year BA studies,
- 2019–now: Communicative Competence Development of Language B and C English– English writing workshop 1st year BA studies,
- 2019–2020: Translation of science- and technology-related texts – level 1 & 2, 2ndyear Applied linguistics, Extramural, MA program,
- 2019–2020: Translation of culture-related texts (B and C language) – English 1styear MA studies,
- 2018–2019: Translation of specialist texts – English (teacher’s choice)1st year Applied linguistics, Extramural, MA program,
- 2017: Introduction to Neurolinguistics – Neurobiological Basis of Language 1styear MA studies at Language and society – interdisciplinary discourse study.
- 2017 & 2020: Translation of specialized texts – teacher’s choice (B and C language) – English, 2ndyear of MA studies,
- 2016–2020: English Translation Workshops – level 1 (Language C), 2nd year BA studies,
- 2016–2019: Language B and C – English Translation Workshops – level 2(economics, sociology and politics; geography and tourism), 3rd year BA studies.
Papers read at conferences:
- The 16thAnnual Days of Japan at the University of Warsaw International Commemorating the 90th Anniversary of the Oriental Studies at the University of Warsaw International Conference: Cultural and literary tradition of Japan – forms, images, language: „The History of Translating Genji Monogatari into English”, 18 October 2022 (UW),
- Oriental Studies for the Future – International Conference Organized On theOccasion of the 90th Anniversary of Oriental Studies at the University of Warsaw: „Training of Japanese Translators and Interpreters within the Higher Education System”, 30 June 2022 (UW),
- Practicing Japan.35 years of Japanese Studies in Poznań and Kraków: “Japanese translator and interpreter training: current state and needs”, 26 March 2022 (UJ and UAM),
- The 15thAnnual Days of Japan, presentation title: “Elements of nature in Japanese festivals, as seen in festival floats”, 15 November 2021 (UW) in English,
- Porta Orientalis – Young Researches on the Orient, presentation title:“The role of Japanese interpreters and translators in the isolation period (17th–19th c.) and Meiji Period (1868–1912), 28 May 2021 (UAM) in Polish,
- Doctoral Festival of Open Science, presentation title: “The role of Japanese interpreter families during the isolation period (17th–19th c.)”, 25 September 2020 (UW) in Polish,
- Imago Mundi, presentation title: “The Intralingual Translation or Rewording of British and American Literary Works on the Basis of Children’s and Young Adult Literature”, 29 June 2019 (UW) in Polish,
- Social Innovations – digital technologies, presentation title: “Neuroimaging techniques in researching brains of translators”, 16 March 2016 (UW) in Polish,
- Annual Days of Japan, presentation title:“Oribe ware in the context of Japanese pottery and kilns”, 17 October 2012 (UW), in English.
Membership in societies and associations:
- Member of Chadō Urasenke Tankōkai Warsaw Sunshin Association (since June 2008), Nyūmon, Konarai i Chabako (since March 2013),
- Member of Society for the neurobiology of language: 2016–2019,
- Member of the PhD Students Council of the Faculty of Applied Linguistics UW: 2015/2016 2016/2017, 2017/2018,
- Delegate to the Faculty Council at the Faculty of Oriental Studies UW: 2011/2012, 2012/2013.
- Member of the Student Council Board of the Institute of Applied Linguistics UW: 2005/2006, 2006/2007, 2007/2008, 2008/2009,
- Delegate to the Institute Council at the Institute of Applied Linguistics UW: 2006/2007, 2007/2008, 2017/2018,
- Delegate to the Faculty Council at the Faculty for Applied Linguistics UW formerly the Faculty of Applied Linguistics and East-Slavonic Languages: 2007/2008, 2008/2009.
- “The History of Translating Genji Monogatari into English” – scheduled publication (in English),
- “Elements of nature in Japanese festivals, as seen in festival floats” – scheduled publication (in English),
- “The role of Japanese interpreters and translators in the isolation period (17th–19th c.)” – scheduled publication (in Polish),
- “The Intralingual Translation or Rewording of British and American Literary Works on the Basis of Children’s and Young Adult Literature”, Między Oryginałem a Przekładem 26(47):139–164, DOI: 12797/MOaP.26.2020.47.07.
- Introduction to research methods in applied linguistics – 2021,
- Workshop on Research Data Management – 2015, 2021,
- Introduction to SPSS – 2015,
- “Publish and don’t perish. How to publish to increase your visibility and support your carrier” –2015.